Sunday, February 7, 2010

Would a black plastic council composter attract rats? I am uncertain if it's worth the risk.?

I have 2 and never had any problems at all with rats.Would a black plastic council composter attract rats? I am uncertain if it's worth the risk.?
If you don't put meat or cooked food in them, then no problems.





We have never had any rats in our compost in 40+ yearsWould a black plastic council composter attract rats? I am uncertain if it's worth the risk.?
I have 3 composting bins from my local council. When they are delivered you usually get a leaflet advising you what to put in it and what not to put in. You put in all your vegetable peelings, tea bags and stuff from your garden. Never put in meat or left over food. I've had my bins for about six years now and never had a problem with rats or mice. It has cut down a lot on what I put out in my regular dustbin especially now we only have fortnightly collections, plus I don't have to buy bags of compost from the garden centre.
So long as you only put fruit or vegetable waste in it (no meat or dairy) you should be OK. I'm noy fmiliar with the council composter, but most have vents too small for rats to get into
I used to live in place that had a few composters and they did attract mice, never saw any rats though.
its simple really!! rats are attracted to food!! if you have a tidy and neat back yard and not in the habit of leaving food scraps lying around you should have no visit from the rat!! mr. rat is very picky where he sets up shop, and will not hang around a no food area!!
I started composting in a black bin and have had no probs at all. It helps keep down the watse that goes to landfill and I use it in pots for bedding plants so it saves me money as well. Just make sure you put the things in ie no meat or bones.


My compost even smells of citrus slightly.
Compost bins are only meant for garden bits, paper without food on it .egg shells, vegetable waste, nothing to do with food, in it or on it. Rats only want food not veg or paper.
providing you did not put any type of meat or food in it it will be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment