Friday, February 12, 2010

Which type of bedding is best for my rats?

Carefesh, Newspaper, or Shavings?





(I will only used approved shavings so don't worry about that)





I don't want it to be that expensive so I kind of want to use newspapers, but does that work good?








Any Tips?





I don't have the rats yet I'm getting them July 1 I am just setting up their cage nowWhich type of bedding is best for my rats?
Carefresh is the best. it works great. newspaper is harmful. any wood shavings can also harm your pet by scaping up their eyes, and things like that, but if you must use shavings, DO NOT use cedar shavings. carefresh is the best bedding to choose. but, do not use newspapers! hehe. i love rats, so have fun with the new ones! rats are awesome pets.Which type of bedding is best for my rats?
Greetings,





Carefresh - Not good with odor,And expensive But will do best as a base to a bedding.





shavings ( such as kiln dried pine , and aspen shavings) - 8.00-13.00 on average therefor non expensive,And great with odor, No need to use carefresh as base in order to stop odor from coming through,





* change you're rat/rats cage 3 times a week to once a week refreshing daily.








Newspaper is inexpensive, But ink may be toxic in some cases, But blocks their digestive system.and isn't good with odor.
Care Fresh or shavings.





Newspaper does not retain odor AT ALL, and trust me, rats stink. Also, the chemicals that are used for the ink of newspaper is harmful to rats.





If you want a cheap bedding, I recommend a fleece blanket. You can just shake off the poo every weekend and throw it in the washing machine. However, shavings only cost about $25 for a 10 pound bag.
Carefresh is the best. Shavings are really bad, they cause respiratory issues. Even the ';approved'; ones, which may be alright for rabbits and such, can be bad for rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment