Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is Carefresh colored bedding safe for rats?

I'm on Petsmart.com trying to figure the price of everything and saw the Carefresh colored bedding. I don't really care about the colors, but I read the reviews for it and it seems perfect. The only problem I have is that most of the reviews were for hamsters and guinea pigs. Would it be acceptable to put down in a rat's cage?


Also, how fast would I go through a 2 pound bag in a cage with two rats?Is Carefresh colored bedding safe for rats?
i wont used itIs Carefresh colored bedding safe for rats?
i would just use regular. thats what i use and mine is healthy.
I wouldn't as well. The dust in carefresh can cause problems with respiratory infections, especially in mice and rats. I have no problems with kiln-dried pine so long as you yourself make sure the pine is safe. Some batches don't dry properly and they smell ';extra piney'; if you will. Kaytee brands tend to have a few problems with quality control.
I use care fresh for my rats and it is safe. It just dosen't do a real good job of odor controland absorbancy is not great.It does not cause allergies and respiratory stuff like other litters. That said I am about to change to something called ';Yesterday's news.'; It is made from recycled newspaper and is sold as cat litter. It is relatively cheap and apparently lasts a really long time because it's very abosorbent and great at odor control. I've talked to numerous people who keep multiple rats and they swear by this stuff. The other thing about carefresh is that you will go through a 2 pound bag for 2 rats in no time(probably one cage change if your cage is of any size). Hope this helps.
We use it and it is just wonderful. You have to change the cage a little more often and they do tend to get coloured spots if you use that coloured bedding but other than that I find it better than the shavings. I clean my cages two to three times a week because my boys like to fling it everywhere and they aren't potty trained yet.
I would not suggest this for rats. It has no odor control whatsoever, as soon as it gets wet it stays wet and smells terrible, and it's very dusty and can cause respiratory problems. I would suggest Sani-Chips, you can't find them at Petsmart I don't think, but if you can find a feed store or local reptile expo in your area you can get like a 40lb bale for $20 or less. It's laboratory grade shredded aspen, they are very tiny squares so they can't cause any sort of problems as far as splinters or being ingested, etc. They control the smell pretty well, it's what most actual labs use for rat cages. It's great stuff! Any aspen-based bedding would be the best choice for rats, don't use the Carefresh or Yesterday's News, and also no pine or cedar as the oils are toxic to most animals.
Yes!! Carefresh is safe for all rodents, including rats!! So is the colored stuff. It seems more expensive but is well worth it! it holds odors longer and the white and colored stuff (the brown stuff is softer than any woodchips also, but the white and colored stuff is more attractive, holds odors better, and has longer fibers than the brown stuff so it is softer and more desierable to your pet) is WAAAYYY softer for your pet than ANY woodchips and is more comfortable too!!





I hope i was helpfull! Good luck!!
i wouldn't suggest using it as your rats may have allergies to whatever the dye is. i know that 2 lbs isn't very much and if your rats are litter trained it MIGHT last you a month. i have several rats so i don't even look at small bags anymore and can tell you the largest bag of carefresh lasts me about 2-3 months depending on how often their homes need a cleaning. i try to do it 2 times a week,but sometimes i don't have time. in any case you can also use aspen bedding, although i will warn you that if you have allergies not to consider it. i had to stop using it after my step son had an allergic reaction to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment