Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Is there any thing to liven up my rats lives?

are there any home made toys(other then tp tubes and cardboard homes) or safe things around the house for my rats to play with? i just gave them some peas and they loved them are there any other things they love?Is there any thing to liven up my rats lives?
Here are some games that you can easliy play with your rodent:





A game I loved to play was what I called Grab and Gather. I would take about ten tissues and lay them all over the couch, then put my pet on the couch and watch her go and get each piece and bring it to the corner of the couch. I would spread them out again and she would gather them all up again.





Build a maze and let him try to find a special treat.





Bob for Peas- This game is not just fun, but refreshing. Take a bag of frozen peas, and put a small handful (maybe 20 or so peas) in a small container of warm water. The water will thaw out the peas. Give the container to your rat(s), and they'll go bobbing for peas. It's not only refreshing but they get a fresh treat. And, it's entertaining.





Hide and Seek- If you're not a big fan of letting your rat run around on your bed, then you can alter it a little. What I like to do is put all three of my rats on my bed and just let them run in and out of hte sheets and pillows. They LOVE it. If you would prefer to leave your rats off the bed, you can set up a pinned in area, like a bath tub, and fill it with pillow cases and towels.





Here is a great list of toys for your rat:





Cat toys without cat nip.


Ferrer toys.


Cardboard boxes and tubes. Be cheap, they don't care. Instead of throwing away the toilet paper rolls, give it to the rats.


Bird ropes and ladders.


Tubes and tunnels.


Hammocks.


Dog ropes.


Nylabones (avoid the Healthy Edible Nylabones)


Branches (bird perches work well. Never get branches from outside)


Wine Corks





From,


LucyIs there any thing to liven up my rats lives?
You could make an obstacle course / maze for them! I once had a pair of gerbils and they loved the one I made for them. You just need to stack up a bunch of books to make walls, have tubes they can crawl through, maybe a very small box for them to climb over, and peas and other treats in random places around the course!
Try training them to do tricks with the peas. It will be fun for you and it provides mental stimulation for them. I had a friend with a rat and she trained it to sit on her shoulder while she walked around.
Rats will enjoy many home made toys, the Dapper Rat has a lot of suggestions for easy-to-make toys and games to play with your rats.





http://www.dapper.com.au/
Well there rats.. i mean don't get me wrong they are cute and all but they have a short attention span. They will like anything you put in there or feed them.
GIve them old wooden things to gnaw on. Just make sure there is no paint or stain on it.
well i made my rats a thing like a hamster wheel and ball and my rats LOVED them

No comments:

Post a Comment