Sunday, February 7, 2010

Can feeder rats make good pets?

Can feeder rats make just as good of pets (if i spend time with them) as one that are breed to be pets?Can feeder rats make good pets?
Definitely.


Some pet stores may separate feeder/fancy rats for the sake of sales. They're actually treated the same way most of the time except nicer looking ones are chosen as fancy and the more runt looking ones are sold as feeders. The only difference from a breeder is the temperament because they are handled from day one, but sense you said your going to give it time it's o.k. Some people also say breeder rats are healthier but honestly I have 3 that were supposed to be feeders and one I bought from a breeder and the breeder one got sick like the rest of them.Can feeder rats make good pets?
Yes! But they will need a same sex friend, here are some reasons why rats make great pets.





I know. Why rats? For years they have been symbols of disgusting, lowlife, disease-carrying animals. But things have changed. Rats have been domesticated. In fact, their popularity as pets is growing every year and more and more people are realizing how great they can be when they are not from city streets. I don't even know where to begin in talking about how great these animals really are, but after the following fun facts, I think you'll be convinced.








Rats clean themselves from head to toe about six times a day. They are the cleanest rodents.


Of all mammals, rats share the most physical similarities with humans excluding primates.


Domesticated fancy rats do NOT carry disease that can be transmitted to humans. All rat sicknesses are species specific.


Rats can be litter trained like cats very easily.


Rats are just as intelligent and sometimes even more so than dogs.


Rats can easily remember their name and can come when they are called.


Rats do not require alot of money to keep.


Rats are not aggressive at all unless they are mistreated and abused.


Rats do not require an expensive diet from the pet store.





Good luck with your rat, they make great pets!! Oh and you might want to take him to the vet, just for an ordinary check up.
Yeah they can. My Squeaks was fished out of a feeder bin, and was a great pet, although a little shy because she was older than I thought she was (apparently she was fully grown, I thought she was young, she was just runty). My dumbo is out of a feeder tank as well, the guy who breeds them sells anything that doesn't live up to his expectations to this pet store for feeders.





Just be thorough checking them over at the store for any signs of illness or mites, and be cautious buying females, they're usually housed with males and that will almost ensure you get a pregnant female.
My first rat was a feeder and he was wonderful!


He used to hang on the side of the cage while I ate oatmeal and wait for his share of it. He also liked to sit on my shoulder while I played on the computer and run around my desk getting into all the papers. I always kept a few papers that he could chew on and shred so he'd leave everything else alone.


I loved my Fink.
Yes, they certainly can. My favorite rat ever (we had quite a few) was a ';feeder rat.'; It's very kind of you to consider rescuing one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment