Sunday, February 7, 2010

I can't choose between 2 rats or 2 gerbils! ive heard rats are friendler and easier to train. is this true?

its a really hard decision!I can't choose between 2 rats or 2 gerbils! ive heard rats are friendler and easier to train. is this true?
Yeah rats are a lot easier to look after and train and they are more friendler than gerbils by loads! And with rats you can have a boy and girl and they are more likley to have babies. But gerbils, if you put two together then they will rip each other to bits. And i aint exagarating! So stick with rats lolI can't choose between 2 rats or 2 gerbils! ive heard rats are friendler and easier to train. is this true?
Definitely true!





My friend had 1 gerbil- he was hard enough to handle just on his own! I hear rats are very affectionate and entertaining, overall very rewarding. I would totally get some if my mum wasn't scared of their tails. :)
Rats, they are more intelligent and should one escape also easier to locate,.... unless they come when called their names, like mine were.


But do NOT breed them (will be swamped with unwanted babies that prob. end up reptile fd.). Get 2 sister rats like I did. They were loving and clean.
in the past i have had both.....gerbils are fuzzy and kinda cute, but rats like to hang out with you...rats you can put on your shoulder and sit and watch TV and they are happy, if you try that with a gerbil it is gonna take off..and hide somewhere...just make sure if you get a rat..even it if is an ';escape proof'; cage make it more so..because they can get out of anything...and i mean anything...lol





good luck choosing...both are awesome
rats are better, they can even be trained to use a litter box. they LOVE being handled too. their tails aren't that bad, once you get used to them you end up loving to pet their tails. (plus if they try to run away you can hold it and they won't escape)
Yes would go with rats. Rats are smarter. They will sit on your shoulder, gerbils will usually just run off. Rats will explore but most of the time they would rather be pet and kissed and played with. I have always had rats because they are just so friendly and sweet and smart. I'm not saying gerbils are mean or stupid or anything though because I had a gerbil once and it was nice and all. I just prefer rats over any other rodents. Rats have this thing about them. They kinda remind me of a dog in a rodents body lol. Because they love to play and are very loving. Two of my rats even play fetch(I get some tinfoil and squeez it into a ball and throw it and they will chase after it and eventually bring it back so that i will throw it again). Rats are great pets for any ages, I had my first rat at my 6th birthday and he was so sweet to me and my friends. Rats are also very clean animals despite what tv makes them seem like. They clean theselves most hours of the day when they arent eating, sleeping or playing with you. Well I hope I made up your mind. Enjoy whatever animal you choose.
i have 5 rats and they are awsome! they are quiet and they are really friendly. rats are better then gerbals by far. so i think u should choose the rats and with rats they get feed to snake so thats 2 more lives that u could be saving
Rats, my friend had one and they are really fun, and they like to be around you, i recently had the same problem as you but it was between 2 rats, and 2 guinea pigs, but my mom doesnt like rats because of their tails, so i am getting 2 guinea pigs YAY! only 8 more days
Rats all the way b/c they are just as good, if not better than dogs. I have never owned a gerbil but i have had 5 rats before and trained two of them to sit, stay, roll over, play dead, and use a litter box after a year my favorite rat never had to use a cage again, he just stayed in my room. Once he followed me out and stayed with me w/0 me realizing and jumped in the passenger seat before i realized he was there. If you want a pet, one that will love you, play with you, and snuggle with you a rat is the way to go. If you want something cute to look at and to bite you get a gerbil.


PS Don't breed rats unless you know what you are getting into. My rat once had 22 babies and i had to call a vet, b/c of complications, cost me quite a bit and then i had 22 pink rat babies, luckily i had infected ten of my friends with rat fever and they all had homes. So yea, no breeding *puts soap box away*
Rats!!! One of the best pets I've had. I've had gerbils, too... they didn't do it for me. Rats are GREAT and portable. I used to take my rats EVERYWHERE with me. I wore hooded sweatshirts and they would hang out in them and nest in my hair. I was known for being the rat girl at parties. hehe
Ok take it from someone who has 2 rats AND 2 gerbils. If you're looking for a pet that you can hang out with and play, get a rat. Rats are intelligent and fun animals (and clean!). They like to play and dont mind being held/pet. Males are more laid back and lazy, and females are more up-and-go playful. Gerbils are simply very cute and arent that big on being held. They are fun to watch.
What you said about rats is true. They are also mcuh more intelligent and more apt to play with you and interact as if you were one of there kind, especially males, which are more laid back than females. (I write this as my male eats a raisin while sitting upon my shoulder) However, rats need a little more attention than gerbils do, at LEAST one hour, every single day when they live in a pair. (Mine's single, so he gets about 5 hours, most of which is spent lounging on my shoulder as I go about daily activities)





If you have more time to devote to a pet, I would suggest a rat. However, if you can't devote too much time, I would suggest gerbils.





Make sure you do plenty of research on the one you choose before you buy it, and make sure they are same sex. However, if you choose to get rats, you can get a mixed pair, as long as one is neutered. Too bad you can't neuter a gerbil!





Have fun, and remember for when you go to the store or breeder-don't choose which rats or gerbils you want to get, let them pick you!








:)
I think that we're all in agreement - rats are the way to go. I've kept my share of rats - I'm up to rat # 14 now - and every single one of them had it's own personality, it's own energy and were definable from one another. The only downside to keeping them, in my opinion, it that they don't live long enough - only 2-4 years on average, and you will get very attached! Imagine having to give up a dog or a cat you've had and loved for 2-4 years - it would be quite devastating.


But, I guess that's part of the circle of life - we all die - and rats will touch your life like no other pet will. They are lovable, loyal, and friendly - and they love you back.


Good luck!
get gerbils and a kkool 25 gallon tank with tons of bedding

No comments:

Post a Comment